Saturday, July 01, 2006

Short, but sweet.

I could feel the crunch of the snow beneath my feet as they began to sink into the ground. Gloves brought warmth to my hands and a heavy knit scarf wrapped around my neck. My cheeks and nose are rosy from the ice cold breeze. It was nearing ten degrees as the evening passed on.

Blustery, cold nights like these are suppose to last longer than they seem. Tonight came too quickly.

Wandering down a somewhat busy city block, I noticed the window shoppers. Some people were standing close, hugging each other to keep warm. Others walked alone, like me. And although the weather was notably cold and stormy, people seemed not to notice or they took advantage of the circumstance.

I caught myself starring into a window of a small shop. A toy train moved slowly around its track. Two small stuff animals were placed upon a red wooden teeter-todder. I can imagine small children pressing their faces against the cold glass, hoping for a small glimpse of what could be theirs.

I continued walking down the street, taking advantage of the joyous mood that shown in the faces of the passing crowds. I stopped briefly to buy a cup of hot cocoa from a local coffee shop. Even the warmth of the quaint coffee shop couldn't keep me indoors.

I walked outside, warm cup in hand. The cold nipped at my face and body. But that didn't matter. Not even the chill of winter could take me away from the warmth I felt.