Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Jobs, sleepiness, and my viola

I applied to three jobs today so far. Probably won't get an interview call from them either. Oh, well. I gotta keep on going.

I spent the better part of today trying to wake my mother up. She missed breakfast and lunch. It is nearing 3pm and I barely kept her awake enough to eat a small cup of apple sauce. Once I leave she is going put herself into a diabetic coma. Its frustrating because I can scream at her, scare her, sit her chair up, sprinkle water on her.. anything and she won't wake up! This has been happening probably the last 3 weeks off and on. Last week, out of her sleepiness, she told me to call the police three times... she was dreaming and talking to me. Besides being a very sad scenario, she still manages to entertain me with her random speeches... "I did not do it," "did you put the shrimp in the freezer?" "wait, wait, wait, wait... slow down." "Did you make it?" These are just some of the things she has said today in her sleep. Eh, what to do...

It's times like these where I wish I could play my viola. I miss it more than anything in the world.


So what will come? I've applied for crap jobs. Even then, I don't get a call for an interview. I don't know where to go, what to look for. I'm lost. Any advice? With my experience I should be able to get most anything. Oy Vey. Being unemployed sucks.

(don't mention, careerbuilder, monster, temp agencies, hotjobs, craigslist, etc... been there done that, got nada)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only advice I can give you regarding jobs is...

Don't wait for them to call you back. Show some persistence in wanting the job. Don't wait by the phone after applying. Wait a few days, call, ask them if they've had time to review your interview/resume...

This all has to be done extremely politely.. you cannot seem anxious to work for them. You are just showing your follow up skills.

After asking about them reviewing your resume/interview.. politely ask them what time you can expect an answer from them. Again, do not seem anxious. You're just following up.

These kinds of skills show whether or not you would be able to work in a office/work enviornment well with OTHER people.

Almost anyone can do the work.. it's managing personal relationships with people at work that is the MOST difficult thing in the world.

Try to remember that you're all on the same team.. and it will be easier.

I've had a tremendous amount of trouble recently balancing trombone and work. I've been overworked to the piont where I don't have any chops for Simon's recital tomorrow. He wrote some really hard shit...I hope I do ok.

Music and life are so similar. The principle of balance pertains to both. Someday you will pick up your viola again. It comes back... if you love it enough...

Peace, until next time...


AS

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home